Sunday, September 14, 2008
Tas Silg Church .......
'Tas Silg Church' "silg" means ice and this church is dedicated to our lady (Mary) of the Snow. This is today run by the Discalced Carmelite Fathers. Documents dated 1661 at the National Library in Valletta state that a church called 'Our lady of the Snow' was founded some years earlier by Signor Giuseppe Francesco Gauci. This church must have been a private chapel as it was not included in subsequent documents related to pastoral visits conducted by Church authorities. On April 22, 1933 this church together with adjacent land was donated to the Discalced Carmelites by the Marquis Lorenzo Testaferrata and his sister Carmel Testaferrata Bonici.
This area is located at the end of Marsaxlokk village on top of a hill, between Delimara and Marsascala.