Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chapel of the Blessed Virgin 'Tal-Mirakli'

















The church, which is within the limits of the parish of Lija, is not far away from the road which from Attard leads to Mosta, and is a very well-known sanctuary. The present church was built in 1664 and dedicated in 1787. Tradition holds that the image of the Virgin venerated in the church shed a tear when a severe earthquake hit the island. Marriages may be celebrated in the church.
Dedication date - 23 December 1787


Photo taken by Laetitia

6 comments:

* berzy * said...

I'm happy to see this photo of this well known historic chapel.

Hope one day I'll pay a visit.

Dina said...

berzy, glad you like this post, when you come to Malta we have to meet :)

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

Very old chapel, very well made photo I would love to visit this chapel when I am in the neighbourhood ( just kidding) :)

HI!:) ,
I am back from my short trip to South of Italy, thanks for 'not forgetting me' I posted an overview of pictures from my holiday , soon more... Have a great sunday!!! Greetings JoAnn

Lothiane said...

The church is beautiful - and so very different from the churches in my country. Interesting to see such an old building! Imagine all the people who's visited there throughout the centuries...

Peter said...

You really have some beautiful building around!

Sanctus Belle said...

Very beautiful! I'd love to see more churches in Malta Dina!