Friday, June 29, 2007

L'Imnarja





Today in Malta it is Celebrated the feast of Saint Peter and Saint Paul and this is known as L'Imnarja. It is the most popular traditional summer festivity held as a folk festival as well as religious holiday. In fact this feast includes a mixture of religion, tradition food and colour. A lot of People gather at Buskett gardens to listen to traditional 'ghanejja' (maltese singing)and to see the lovely displays of local vegetables and fruits from farmers and also animals such as rabbits, chickens, turkeys, cows and horses. This is where I went this morning with my two children. I will show you more photos tomorrow as I took a lot of pictures!!

11 comments:

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

sounds as though it was a really lovely day.

marie6 said...

So that's why you said you were off to Buskett this morning, I totally forgot about this festival. Hope you had a great day!!!

Dina said...

Marie6, it was lovely as we went early and it was not too hot. They had some great food displays. What one does for blogging eh!!!!

Dick said...

Yes it is very hot in your part of Europe, over here 17-18 degrees and raining not very much of a summer is it? I like the rabbit.

Anonymous said...

looks like a good time, nice photos!

Someone in Al Ain said...

sounds cool..

Peter said...

Looks really nice! You mention food displays, but not what your brought home (or consumed there). It all looks good and fresh! (I'm neglecting the poor rabbit in this comment.)

Maybe we will know tomorrow then?

Wanda said...

What precious pictures, especiall that little bunny...the fruit and veggies look great too. Festivals are really nice to attend.

Steve Buser said...

Love reading of and seeing the local revelry. Looks like your rabbit partied a little to hard.

Dina said...

Peter, me and the kids did not eat anything at the festival. The rabbit was a dwarf rabbit and they where neither for sale nor to be made stew!! Tomorrow I will show some of the local made imqaret 'fig pasties'.

Anonymous said...

Dina,what you have set up on the net is cool!! L'Imnarja is my favourite feast as it is outdoors and beginning of summer. I am from Toronto, have been here 36 years but I visit Malta almost every year. This year in August. Anyhow, these pictures make me homesick!! lovely colours, the Maltese guy cooking chips<:)!! and the cute rabbit, hope he is not in anyone's pot today!! Thanks for sharing. Maria Muscat