Sunday, July 22, 2007

A local legend !


On our way to the Blue Grotto caves, we go past a cave known as "Ghar Hasan". This is situated at Hal Far limits off Birzebbuga. This cave is the dark hole you can see high up in the cliffs on the left hand side. Up until to a few years ago, one could go inside this cave and walk round, but a landslide in the cliffs occured and it has now been declared dangerous and has been fenced off. I will show a photo tomorrow of this landslide.

The name "Ghar Hasan" meaning Hasan's Cave is due to a local legend, and I must thank "birze oldtimer" for the following reference.

According to legend a Turk called Hasan abducted a Maltese girl and kept her inside the cave. When discovered by the locals he preferred to kill the girl and commit suicide rather than be captured, so he hurled himself and the girl into the sea below.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting legend. The photo is nice too.

Abraham Lincoln
Inspired? See what inspired me today. Brookville Daily Photo
Read/see: "Two Moons Over Earth on August 27th"

inspired said...

XLenT ;o]

* berzy * said...

Hi Marie

I've been in that cave a few times. The last was 1995. That day many tourists were at this Site. I went down but my wife was scared to go down the steps on the cliff face. When I entered the cave there was a guy renting battery torches to people who wanted to proceed further inside the cave. I never ventured deep inside. I think people took shelter in that cave during WW2.

Lilly said...

What a brutal story. The water is so beautiful and blue.

photowannabe said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind words.
I have enjoyed your series on the blue grotto. So lovely.

Anonymous said...

I must congratulate you my friend , you are doing a really good job, thanks for keeping this up for me. We are having a wonderful time here and I check the internet whenever possible. Take care and see you soon. Nadine xxxx

Peter said...

The place look really nice, but the story a bit frightening!

I just today finished a very nice and amusing book (in French) by a Finnish author, Arto Paasilinna: "Le Bestial Serviteur du pasteur Huuskonen". It takes partly place on Malta.

-_- said...

hey

both of you are chosen by sharm to represent your country in the first international blog
WUB (World United Bloggers)
the aim of this blog is to prove to the world that the difference in our languages and religions and colors doesn't make us hate each other and we can make this world better if we say our opinion with a respect to the opinion of the others
if you are agree to join us please send e-mail with your nick name , age , country and your blog address on sharm_lover@hotmail.com to send you activation mail which makes you read every thing about the WUB (World United Bloggers) and it's aims
thanks

Sharm

Anonymous said...

cool cave!

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

I like the photo and, of course, the cave. The legend unfortunately it's sad.

Ann (MobayDP) said...

Oh how awful! What a horrible fate for the poor girl.